Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 8, 2010

Ya gotta luv this crazy profession & baseball


I don't usually write mid day but I thought I would add a short story..or least the beginning of one. I got a call last week, " Can you shoot a baseball card?" the man asked...I paused and thought about it for a moment.." sure, what is it you want?" I can't find anyone in this town who can shoot a baseball card and give me a good reproduction" he said frustrated. "Bring it by, I am sure I can help you out." He and his partner arrived on Saturday at my photo studio, in downtown, Missoula. It turned out he had discovered a baseball card from 1909 in shoebox that was given to him as a kid. This baseball card was in pretty good shape and it was of Honus Wagner of Pittsburg. As it turns out Honus had only about 10o cards of himself made before he stopped the print run. There are perhaps 10 in existence, the last one was auctioned off for 1.6 million dollars. So you can imagine how my client felt when he discovered this card in a shoe box that was given to him as a boy. They brought in the card, covered in scratched plexiglass. I had set up my copy light and photographed the front and the back. I brought the card back to my post production room to down load the image. When I brought up the image on my screen and the clients saw how sharp the detail was they got very excited. Their objective was to verify that the card was authentic and with the help of the zoom control in PS4 it was very evident. I did mention to them that I wished I had a high res camera that cost about 30 thousand to get the best resolution and he said when they sell the card they may get me one....I won't hold my breath..but it was an exciting discovery and I wish them the best in its authentication and sale...you never know...strange business...

No comments: